20.10.08

Cape Cod



Do you remember last summer at Cape Cod? Do you remember one night in the dining room there was this young naval officer and he was sitting near our table with two other officers? (…) The waiter brought him a message, at which point he left. Nothing rings a bell? Well, I first saw him that morning in the lobby. He was checking into the hotel and he was following the bellboy with his luggage to the elevator. He glanced at me as he walked past. Just a glance. Nothing more. But I could hardly move. (…) at no time was he ever out of my mind. And I thought if he wanted me even if it was only for one night l was ready to give up everything. (…) And at that moment, my love for you was both tender and sad.

(Nicole Kidman em Eyes Wide Shut, 1999, de Stanley Kubrick, adaptação de Traumnovelle, 1926, de Arthur Schnitzler)